I love Vegemite. There, I said it. I’m an American transplant, now 15 years on in Australia and I have made Vegemite toast part of my morning breakfast routine.
Let the salt begin.
Are you skeptical about trying Vegemite? I get it – the dark, salty spread isn’t for everyone. But trust me, Vegemite is worth trying at least once in your life. Besides, you might just end up falling in love with it! Mixing butter and Vegemite on your perfectly toasted bread can kickstart your day in ways peanut butter and other spreads just wish they could. Here are a few reasons why you should give Vegemite a try:
- It’s packed with nutrients: Vegemite is made from yeast extract, which is a rich source of B vitamins. B vitamins are important for maintaining good health, and they can help to support your energy levels, brain function, and immune system. So not only is Vegemite delicious, it’s also good for you!
- It’s versatile: Vegemite is more than just a spread for toast. It can be added to a variety of dishes to add depth and flavour. Try mixing it into scrambled eggs, spreading it on a sandwich, or adding it to a savoury pie filling. The possibilities are endless!
- It’s a cultural experience: Vegemite is an iconic part of Australian culture, and trying it is a fun way to learn about and experience a different culture. Plus, you’ll be able to say that you’ve tried one of Australia’s most famous foods!
- It’s delicious (if you know how to enjoy it): I know, I know – Vegemite has a strong, savoury flavour that can be off-putting to some people. But if you know how to enjoy it, Vegemite is actually quite delicious. The key is to use it sparingly – a little goes a long way. Try spreading a thin layer of Vegemite on toast or crackers, and pair it with something sweet, like sliced bananas or honey, to balance out the flavour. After all, you might be surprised by how tasty it is!
Be a Little Vegemite
But don’t just take my word for it – give Vegemite a try and see for yourself! Just remember, it’s all about moderation and balance. Here’s a simple recipe to get you started:
- 1 slice of bread
- 1 teaspoon of vegemite
- 1 tablespoon of butter or margarine
- Toast the bread to your desired level of crispiness.
- Spread the butter or margarine evenly over the toast.
- Using a knife, carefully spread a thin layer of Vegemite over the butter or margarine.
- Enjoy your delicious Vegemite toast!
If you can master the above, you’ve done the Aussies proud. But if you really want to impress them, take a look at how Paul Hogan does it, and see if you can step it up a notch. (Please don’t wear Paul’s shorts.)
See, that wasn’t so hard, was it? Eventually, you just might find that this upset stomach-curing, hangover-easing, first breakfast-clinching snack is actually pretty good. After all, it’s made with yeast extract.
Do you like Vegemite? Have you cooked a creative dish with this salty treat? I’d love hear what you’ve cooked up. Coworkers of mine in Singapore say they add it to laksa to give it a salty kick, though can’t say I’m quite so adventurous to start mixing cultures.